Wednesday, May 30, 2007

these words
I here do burn
in to my chest

FIGHT ME

we wrestled until the early hours of the morning
at first light
you touched my hip
but it was my heart that dislocated

limping on
following the sound of Rachel, weeping in the desert,
past the shadow of stone cold Niobe,
I cried "Fight me"

these are words I already heard
before I spoke them
I was watching shooting stars by a dying fire
at the foot of a Welsh mountain
a beautiful woman by the name of Rachel
sat beside me
singing a hymn to heaven

I told her
"Those shooting stars,
they are nothing more than meteorites"

I tried to bring her heavenly wonder crashing back down to earth
but her eyes were full of stars
she was in love with God

FIGHT ME

four years later her daughter died
she still looks to the heavens
but she no longer sings

When I look into some women's eyes
if I get the chance
if I get the time and space,
the right night and the right drinks and the right light
and the right place,
I use my eyes to say
"Fight me"
and I tempt them into struggle

When I look into the mirror
there is only reflected light
I am not really looking into my own eyes
and yet I begin a very real fight
one on one
man versus woman
for I play both

When I look into the mirror
I get bored

To Claudine I said

Fight me

No comments: