I am coming
please be patient
do not surrender hope
I am coming and there is no other ending
I am coming
so wait for me
beside the rusting lamp post
on Parliament Street
light up your last thin cigarette
and purse your lips
sense a thrill
for I am coming
I am coming
so ignore the shrieks along the garden route
pass by the shaking bushes without pause
look straight ahead
remember summers
remember Auschwitz
remember Eden
remember Harrow on the Hill
look straight ahead and keep on walking
- perhaps hear a line or two of Allen
or take a line or two for Allen -
but wait for me
'cos I am coming
I am coming
god,
girl,
gwirld,
with all the love and heat of our greatest disasters
I am coming with the butcher's knife and the sculptor's eye
I am blasted out by acid tabs and pastries
- lock up your summers,
lock up your lovers -
I got a contract and all the weighty power of the law
I am entitled to undress you and impress you
I am delighted, in the sun,
to be coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment