Monday, September 30, 2013

Drowsily I have been speaking
in theatres and conference halls
on street corners I have been smoking
sending signals to the gods
and though my words are poured over
by a thousand eager minds
nothing is communicated
nothing understood

coughing,
tired,
I have never worked so hard
and yet today I found my strength returning
I found my pace
I felt an energy of old

Sorensen called this evening
I did not hear his call.
I fear what waits me in the morning;
he only calls when there is heat.

Marianne wrote a letter.
Painted a picture of her house down by the bay.
I do not resent her movement,
or the Dane she moves in with,
but I resent her painting pictures
in the style she painted me.

Drowsily I have been thinking
in my bed and on the plane
on the streets of distant cities
I have been thinking about love.
But though my thoughts are mulled over
by a thousand warring minds
nothing is revealed
nothing understood

coughing,
tired,
I feel as though I'm living in my own post-history
and yet, today, I found my strength returning
I found my charm
I felt an energy of old
I am excited

3 comments:

gb said...

I've been thinking about love too, it's impossible to fathom and much harder to stop than smoking

An Unreliable Witness said...

Did the energy return upon stopping thoughts of love, or immersing yourself in them further?

Enquiring minds need to know. Purely for reference, of course.

The Shadow Cabinet said...

gb - a wonderful incarnation.

Sometimes I want to stop smoking. I don't think I ever really want to stop thinking about love.

UW - It would be a lie if I said I understand the return of the energy. I sometimes think if I knew that secret, I'd be a force of nature. That may be woefully wrong.

My best guess - the work is the thing. It impedes self-reflection. And I think a certain personality, a certain mind - it cripples itself when it turns inward. There is a freedom in distraction. I'm no Buddhist though.

A positive - the energy remains, for now. Considering where I have been, it's something of a lifeline to know that it can come back. Probably regardless of our actions, sooner or later, something good will happen.