Tuesday, July 02, 2013

I want to profess great and unbounded love
to women I have just met
to those who hand me change over the counter
I want every action and utterance
to be an extreme and drastic flash of passion
anything, to make it through the day.

But I don't want to be no Duke Orsino
and truthfully I think I am in love
with laughter
and my box of Yorkshire Gold.

Still,
I want to profess great and shameless lust
for every shy smile that follows flattery
for every eye that widens involuntarily
when I give the look.

But I don't want to, too,
and truthfully I think I've done it too many times before
and my body is a wailing wall for ruined women
and it's power I love
and the hard on that comes
from being somebody's hope.

Don't believe a word.


2 comments:

An Unreliable Witness said...

I find that brutal honesty tends to require a few reads.

This required more than a few reads.

And that's said as someone who increasingly doesn't believe a word.

The Shadow Cabinet said...

It pleases me that you read this, and that's the honest truth.
Thank you.