look to the left
look to the corner
King David is downing a whisky and coke
King David is playing air-guitar
it's been such a long long time
since that golden harp, hey Dave?
that's no warning light
the flush of red that shows us his eyes
it's just another cheap rigged disco
for another cheap disco night
nobody can dance quite like David
David who was a king
the DJ plays Prince
look to the bed
look through the shadow
there is David sleeping
perhaps dreaming of the old days
uniting Judah and Israel
escaping Saul's spear
shame he didn't take off his clothes
before he crashed there,
undignified like that
"remember when we were lovers?"
David says
to his god
"do you remember when we were man and woman?
I was your bride
your church
your son
I was crying song for you my Lord
I was breaking hearts for you Oh Israel
remember honey, when I saw your young body
and I had to play that music right there
turn those thighs into strings and those breasts into hallelujahs and hosannas
so long ago! so long ago!
the dusty path from Jerusalem
lead me so far away
that I became every other man
dropped out of some cheap hotel bible
like a creased page from a soiled wank rag
dropped right into this nightclub
in London
look left
look to the corner
King David is still drinking whisky and coke
it seems he hasn't moved at all
it's the drink that makes him King
it's the drink that keeps him dreaming - still playing
harp
sad bastard
No comments:
Post a Comment