Sunday, April 29, 2007

I walked free
no longer had to sit at the table and drink that poison
the storm was fresh
it ripped through all the shit and put us straight
I was out on the Heath running
I ran so fucking fast I thought I'd die of a heart attack
but my body rejoiced
I was hungry and dripping in sweat and rain
I was alive again
I was so full of power
the heavens were no match for me
I stood at the top of the Heath and smiled
Finally I walked free
My art came back to me
My style
I had the charmed life and the charmed women
I had the right words in the right order to win the right awards
the right opinion
Everything came together
Finally

but in the dim light of a desperate club
something else stirred
something I had not foreseen
something born not of new freedom
but of old bondage
in the dim light I saw the flash in her unknowing eyes
I saw the flash and everything slowed
the music went
her body moved like memory relived so vivid
it was dream and real at once
her lips were now the only lips
her words were now the only words
all I had and would be fell to the side
I became the mirror to her form
I became the eulogy to the victim of a desperate love
she was magnificent and terrifying
her beauty nothing less than destiny
which kept a careless hand upon me
in the dark new bonds were made
as the happy songs were played
the freedom
the free man
was lost again
and nobody had enslaved him
nobody could be blamed
but him

No comments: