It was all of a sudden,
the fall of the Berlin Wall,
the Great Crash,
the Great Thaw,
the palaces overrun
in the Final Revelation
of sweet fuck all.
Like the way
Women opened up to me
when I reached my thirties.
Perhaps
it was just the fame.
Well the world, also,
she opened up to me
and everything became easy.
I struggled to stay hard.
I have this strange sense
every morning
of having no more worlds to conquer.
I step out of the shower
on to a great stone balcony.
Stretching out before me under dawning light
is mighty Rome in all her glory,
but
the whole place is empty,
and I am a hundred thousand years too late
and everyone I love has died
an age ago.
Yes,
My heart of flesh and blood is overwhelmed by loss
Because truly
The number of worlds is infinite
And you all moved on.
Yes because the number of worlds is infinite
And I have not yet become lord of a single one.
This golden girl,
just twenty-three,
turns on her side
and says to me:
Are you okay, baby?
I think you were crying in your sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment