Wednesday, September 02, 2015

The Mission

I write to you in sorrow.
The river has run red
And I am plagued by locusts.
They're swarming in my bed.

The wild dogs of Freetown
Are howling through the night.
They make it hard to focus,
Which makes it hard to write.

And Anna says we're strongest
When we're on our knees,
But some nights I hear her praying
For the strength to believe.

The mission is in ruins
And some have turned to drink.
I have embraced the spirits.
They help me not to think.

Now Anna says we're weakest
When we're in control,
But she holds me like a crucifix
And will not let me go.

This letter is my last.
There is nothing more to say
And Anna says she finds us
When we're lost for words.
Our tongues will just betray us.
They will only makes things worse.
So I guess I'll end things here.




No comments: