And you are a man
she said
and I looked upon her as a mother
and you are my man
she said
and I looked upon her as my woman
and your legs, she said,
I was looking at your legs
My legs? I said
How strange
Those legs could look after me,
she said
My legs? I said
How strange
But anything I have
I'd put to work for you
I dare not imagine your children
she says
Your children will be beautiful
I say
I dare not imagine our children
she says
I smile,
when did we become so old?
I ask
But she is very young,
and I know I will look back
on her trusting eyes and soft smooth skin
in fondness for the foolish talk we made
way back when
all we had to do was dream
to make a victory of everything
Don't call me your woman
she says
Until I am your woman
Unless I am your woman
Then she says
But I am your woman
and I cannot see it any other way
No comments:
Post a Comment