Miriam went silent yesterday
Though she had been singing for so long
Though she had earned her living planting memories
In hours and daylight,
The many mundane places where they never should belong
I was woken by the traffic of the Heath
And felt immediately her silence
A sensation of being at loss
For an old scar we thought would never heal
Why is this woman silent in my mind
Why is this woman not in song
I feared perhaps some premonition of a danger courting her
So I telephoned
Miriam was not lost
She was translating for the Minister and could not talk for long
"I am not here for long" she said
"Tomorrow all the real business will be done"
So she had not gone at all
A singer left in secret yesterday
I had never thought to think
But it seems her planted memories
And her optimistic melodies
Had been mine all along
And something healed.
No comments:
Post a Comment