he draws down
puts beer to table
and assumes the height
of a man in the know
"if you loved each other, you'd make it work"
how did you get so niave
I defend
How did you get so simple
I attack
But he's happy to sit back
Happy with his wife
and tie and jacket
and office and local brewery ale
This is never really going to hurt
After alcohol has run its course
and water falls
upon my walk
of shame beneath the heavens I say
"so really what do you want from me God?
Where were you, and where are you,
And what's your game?"
I call him by his name
And still no response
If there is a God,
He is done with talk.
I take off my shirt and put on my running
clothes
it's time to run myself back into the ground
and pray for lightening
and sparks and drama
and no longer spoil for fights
but run so fast as to become
sweat and dust
a vapour on the heath
where once a man had come
and challenged heaven
and no one saw the lightening bolt
which took him out
no one saw the look of glee
as the elements changed about him
for the force of one long call
"Prove yourself, God,
Prove yourself to me."
I
No comments:
Post a Comment